Board of Directors
Mex Y Can is governed by a volunteer-driven Board of Directors elected by voting members of the Association. The Board of Directors is empowered, through the By-laws of Mex Y Can, to act on behalf of members in order to carry out the goals of the Association.
Mex Y Can also has a number of Committees that help guide the activities of the Association. These committees provide volunteer opportunities for members and potential members, as well as influence the direction of Mex Y Can.
Board of Directors for 2022-2023
- Biochemical Engineer graduated from the National Polytechnic Institute (IPN) in Mexico City. Holds a M.Sc. in Food Safety from the University of Birmingham in the UK. After concluding her doctorate studies in Food Chemistry at McGill University, moved to Winnipeg in 2006.
- Works for Manitoba Agriculture as a Food Safety Regulatory Specialist. Professional with over 15 years of experience in food safety and food processing.
- Inducted in the Personalities Wall, permanent exhibit at the Manitoba Museum, which highlights 30 individuals in Winnipeg’s history from the 1870s to the present, who are part of the fabric of our community.
- Active member of Mex Y Can since 2009, holding different Executive Positions and Co-coordinator of the Mexican Pavilion at Folklorama.
- Born in Guadalajara, Mexico. Accountant graduated from the University of Guadalajara. She moved to Manitoba in1997.
- Works at the Bright Beginnings Educare (BBE) in Headingly as childcare assistant and is the manager of the nutrition program at the center.
- One of the founders of Mex y Can and has extensive experience in coordinating the Mexican Pavilion at Folklorama. Has hold many positions as part of the Mex Y Can Board of Directors.
- Volunteering is her hobby, as she loves to help others.
- Mechanical Engineer graduated from the “Instituto Tecnologico de Pachuca” (ITP) in Pachuca Hidalgo, Mexico. Living in Winnipeg since 2003.
- Works as Design Engineering Manager at Motor Coach Industries LTD.
- One of the founders of Mex Y Can. Has participated in different Mexican pavilions and has also been part of the Executive Directors holding different offices.
- Committed to help our association grow and to continue showing to all Canadian communities how great is our dear Mexico.
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Instituto Politécnico Nacional in Mexico, a Master in Information Science from Tecnologico de Monterrey in Mexico, and Change Management Certification from PROSCI Canada. Graduated from the University of Winnipeg, Professional Applied and Continuing Education (PACE). Moved to Winnipeg in 2016.
- Works for Canada Life as an IT Project Manager in the Group Costumer Technology.
- Passionate about cultural exchange, diversity, and an advocate for inclusion.
- Confident leader with strong interpersonal and analytical skills who thrives on social interaction and customer.
- Born in Ecuador. Holds a Bachelor’s degree in advertising and marketing and a Master’s degree in business administration obtained in Ecuador. Worked in a finance corporation for 10 years.
- Great passion to be able to help people. Greatest strength is not giving up and being persistent, committed and loyal.
- In Ecuador, had the opportunity to be part of a project of families to the rescue, a project on how to achieve integral reconstruction, and restoration to save families from separation or divorce. This made her understand even more the importance of society, and its fundamental basis.
- Studying an English program prior to the application of a continuous study program – Advantage business management in the University of Winnipeg. Moved to Winnipeg in 2021.
- Born in Michoacan, Mexico and graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Moved to Winnipeg in 2016.
- Graduate student in Natural Resources and Environmental Management at University of Manitoba. Her research focuses on indigenous communities, their relationship with global markets and how they manage their natural resources.
- Adult ambassador for the Mexican Pavilion in 2019 and board member of the Mexican Association of Manitoba since 2019.
- Interested in promoting Latin culture and being part of a multi-cultural community. Enjoys Latin dancing, traveling, meditation, outdoors and cooking.
- Holds a Business and Marketing Master’s degree from the Technological of Higher Education Institute, Chihuahua, México. Business and Marketing Manager of Health and Beauty Clinic, Chihuahua. Owner and founder of a dance studio “Dance & Dance” and the “Dance & Dance Company’, Chihuahua.
- Over 14 years of experience in implementation of marketing strategies, management and coordination of personnel, sales, and business development. Proven skills in creating innovation in strategy design both as a choreographer as well as in marketing and demonstrated ability to lead and organize work staff.
- Started to volunteer with Mex Y Can in September 2021 for the Independence Day Celebration.
- Moved to Winnipeg in 2021.
- Moved to Winnipeg in 2015 from Monterrey, Mexico. Holds a bachelor’s in finance and a Master’s in Management from “Instituto Tecnologico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey”.
- Has a background in finance with international companies such as GE, CEMEX and Palliser Furniture. Working on her Certified Professional Accounting designation.
- Volunteer experience includes past Mex y Can treasurer and Look Good Feel Better, where she enjoys helping women manage appearance-related effects of cancer and its treatment.
- Loves to travel, going camping, and attended sporting events and concerts.
- Born in Queretaro, Mexico. Immigrated to Canada in 1987. Obtained her Certified General Accountants of Canada (CGA) designation.
- Works at Quality Design, Inc. as an Accountant/Office Manager since 1997.
- Very involved with Mex Y Can and the organization of the Mexican Pavilion at Folklorama.
- Provides training to new Mex Y Can volunteers performing financial tasks, maintains the Association books and prepares its Canadian Revenue Agency returns.
Nomination and Election Process
Manitoba individuals of any ethnical background who are 18+ years old are invited to participate.
The Board of Directors is represented by 12 elected officers: Past President, President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Public Relations Officer and Members-at-Large
Elections occur every two years at our Annual General Meeting.